Trying to figure out the optimal energy food for a day of competitive word gaming.
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped (e.g. Mariani Dried Fruit (no added sugar) available at Costco)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- oats, sesame seeds, almonds (all toasted 6-8 min at 300F), other nuts.
- chocolate chips, M&M's (color will run), peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cereal, bran, wheat germ, orange peel, orange juice, dried fruit, egg, oil, applesauce and honey; blend well.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and baking soda.
- Stir in the first mixture and blend until all ingredients are combined.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and cut into bars.